Sunday, April 20, 2008

An Engineer's Guide To Cats



While I don't usually regurgitate the b3ta newsletter onto my blog, this was one of those things. Those special things. Those things that just, somehow, wriggle into your consciousness rather than being a two-minute giggle that is forgotten with the next shiny object that rolls past.

The Engineer's Guide To Cats, by Paul Klusman with TJ Wingard, is nominally about cats. Indeed, Paul opens the video with "The purpose of this presentation is to educate engineers, and the general public, about cats."

Nice idea, but really, I think this is the ideal film to educate the general public (and possibly, cats) about engineers. An oft-misunderstood species, I have believed for many years that engineers make superior boyfriend material (although Dilbert may be interested to know that NASA have not hidden me on the moon yet) but I have been unable to explain WHY. What is it about a man with a scientific calculator, a leatherman, and a roll of duct tape, that is attractive?

I still can't explain it properly in actual words. Could it be the intelligence? The single-minded devotion? The attention to detail? The defeat of self-consciousness? I don't know. But I defy any woman to watch these two play with their cats and not melt a little bit inside. That's what it is about engineers.

13 comments:

Pandora Caitiff said...

Awesome!

I nearly spilled my drink laughing at the science of cats. Particularly the "aspect ratios" of the three felines.

I will definitely aid the unauthorised reproduction of this short film :)

Anonymous said...

Very excellent.

Maggie said...

What fun!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree... I am married to an engineer and we have a cat.... Good post!

Mary said...

Occasionally I wonder if perhaps I AM a cat - the propensity to curl up for naps in warm places, the enjoyment of being stroked, the way I'm easily distracted by shiny things...

elizinashe said...

I loved the 'guide to cats' video! I thought the video was quite hysterical, just what I needed before I was off to class that night! Now, the author of this video has given you a thank you on a new update video which led me to your blog...what a small and weird world we live in...keep blogging!

Mary said...

*bursts into song*
"It's a small world after all..."
*gets shot by copyright lawyers*

Anonymous said...

My dad is an engineer and over the years, I have studied his interactions with our three cats. They each have a special bond with him. Even though each time my mother and I brought one home, he grumbled (it's all for show:). The cats love to sleep in his bed, "help" with the yard work, and then they like to steal his seat in the livingroom. But, he never fails to get the kitty treats!

CharlotteV said...

Hi! The Engineer guy is giving you a big shout out! And as a result I found your blog, which is smart and funny. And you are a knitter, too -- as am I! Small world, indeed...and wonderful as well. =^..^=

Mary said...

Knitters and bloggers and cats, oh my.

I'm on Ravelry as Batsgirl if you're feeling nosey :)

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say Hi. I saw a reference to your blog from a follow up video and decided to drop by. That first video was so funny, it spread thoughout the office in a matter of minutes.

Take care and wish you the best from Texas,
Mike

Mary said...

Hi Mike... as you can see, several people have come over here from Paul's follow-up video. I still start blushing every time I think about that. I'm used to my mum enthusing about my writing. It's a bit different when it's from a total stranger on the other side of the globe.

In a good way, mind.

Suzanne said...

love your post - of course i arrived after multiple viewings of TEGTC and the thank you video.

you are a wonderful writer ...

to offer another perspective, inspired by your post - from observing my husband, an engineer of the computing kind - fall deeply and helplessly in love with a little white cat we adopted last year. watching them engaged with each other ... well, first it makes me jealous, as he's stealing my girlfriend ... but then, my heart melts - just like you said.

*sigh*