Saturday, May 23, 2009

Biscuits

When I started work, okay, I was on minimum wage, but I had something that Steve and his high-flying techie friends didn't have. An office kitchen with a "help yourself" policy. While none of the people with 'proper' jobs were really about to take an 80% pay cut and relinquish their daytime internet access just for free tea, coffee, and biscuits, it did make me feel a little bit better. I had a Perk. I didn't have to drink hot coloured water from a plastic cup and pretend it was tea, and I never had to thump a vending machine which had eaten my last twenty pence piece but not dispensed my goodies. No tokens, no cards, no forms, no systems, no unspoken implication that given half a chance the employees would undermine the entire company with our gluttony... just a decent cuppa and a biscuit whenever I felt I wanted one. It must not be underrated.

Then the unthinkable happened. A couple of people went on diets, and the person who had been the most influential in keeping the biscuit cupboard stocked left for another job. I would go to the cupboard and find no biscuits - or worse, I would find half a packet of Custard Creams, which I detest. For the last few months, I've been taking my own snack in my handbag, which isn't a problem, but I did miss my mid-afternoon Perk of biscuitty goodness.

But yesterday! I don't know what compelled me to look in the cupboard, but I did, and lo, there was half a packet of Custard Creams, and... a pristine, unopened packed of chocolate digestives. Dark chocolate digestives. My favourite.

Could be it's the drugs talking - I am having a bit of a time of it and taking more than I otherwise would this week - but that packet of biscuits filled my heart with joy. I suddenly felt a lot more positive about all sorts of things.

5 comments:

Mandy said...

I like that.

The Goldfish said...

Eating biscuits at work? It's people like you who set a bad example to our suggestible MPs!

Glad you're feeling most positive. It's funny how food can be like that sometimes. Dark chocolate digestives are great. :-)

Anonymous said...

I understand entirely, Mary. Surprise freebie goodies are much more enjoyable than those you chuck in the trolley with the weekly shopping. Well done, by the way, with your work situation. You modestly imply that the improvement just kind of happened, when clearly they think highly of you. You have carved you niche, and they have recognised you have the skills required. Hopefully they will realise you're worth more than peanuts (or dark choc digestives).
All the best,
Sue

Mandy said...

Thanks Mary, for your support....

Unknown said...

Dark chocolate.... MMMMMMmmmmmmmmm! We should share a pack some time... Over knitting/crocheting...